Tree Removal Info
In order to receive a tree removal permit within the City of Aspen limits, the following steps must be completed:
- Fill out a request for Tree Removal / Drip Line Excavation Permit Application. Copies are also available at the Parks Dept. office at 585 Cemetery Lane or call to obtain a faxed copy.
- Complete and return the form with the appropriate processing fee. No credit cards can be accepted; however, you can pay cash at the office. The application fee is waived for dead or diseased trees.
- The City Forester, Ben Carlsen, or his designee, will complete a site visit to establish the value of the trees, based on health, size, planting location, and other criteria. Mitigation may be made in one or more ways:
- Replace the same value in trees back on the site,
- Pay the value as cash-in-lieu to the City, or
- A combination of the above.
These funds are then used to purchase new trees and maintain existing trees within the City of Aspen's Parks and right-of-ways.
Please note that the value of new landscaping is only for trees and is based on the cost of the plant material, delivery and installation.
For more information, please contact Ben Carlsen at (970) 429-2034.